There are a wide variety of volunteer roles throughout the event weekend where you will be helping and interacting with athletes. We want you to have a great volunteer experience, that’s why we ask you to tell us your volunteer preference. We do our best to match volunteers to their role of choice, but due to the needs of the race, we cannot guarantee you’ll get the role you select. Please review the list of roles below to get a sense of duties and responsibilities.
Volunteers for Friday, September 9th and Saturday, September 10th
- Packet Pick-Up & Registration Volunteers are needed to assist our event staff at packet pick-up/registration at the Expo. Volunteers will help distribute packets, t-shirts and timing chips. Volunteers may also be asked to help direct athletes between the race briefings and packet pick-up.
- Transition Area Volunteers are needed to assist with Saturday athlete bike racking at the transition area. We will also be helping with body marking and helping athletes find the shuttle stops.
Volunteers for Sunday, September 11th
- Race Start Volunteers will have many jobs including:
- Body Marking– Participants have to be marked so that they can be identified as they exit the water following the swim portion of the race. This is done to assist USA Triathlon officials during the event, as this is their way of identifying participants. Volunteers will write athlete’s race number on the athlete’s body as directed by the Race Director.
- Swim Start Volunteers will be out on Ohio Drive, helping move the swim waves from the holding pen in the transition area to the swim chute and dock. Volunteers will also help direct athletes as they exit the water and will keep spectators out of the way.
- Course Marshals will be on the bike and run course to direct the athletes to turn the appropriate way at certain intersections.
- Bike In / Bike Out Volunteers will direct athletes leaving transition where the mount and dismount lines are, which direction to go, and will ensure the course is free of any dropped items or debris. These volunteers will also help keep spectators back from the course.
- Finish Line Festival Volunteers will distribute water, medals and food to athletes crossing the finish line.