The 2013 Nation’s Triathlon bike course is a single 40k loop along the beautiful Potomac River and through historic downtown Washington DC.
The 2013 Nation’s Triathlon bike course is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to race 40k past Washington Monument, WW II Memorial, National Mall, Tidal Basin, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Korean War Memorial, and Kennedy Center and more on a course completely closed to traffic! Vehicle free access to the roads, boulevards and avenues is provided by our friends at DC MPD and US Park Police.
There are a number of gentle rollers out on Clara Barton Parkway approximately 6 miles in with the remainder of the course being mostly flat and fast. There are a number of very short steep climbs to get onto certain roadways and around overpasses. There are a number of technical turns on the course that require good bike handling skills starting around mile 21 when racers come in off Clara Barton Parkway.
The bike course was designed to follow the normal flow of vehicle traffic so all bikers will intuitively keep right unless they are actively passing. Bikers also then know not to cross yellow lane lines at any time. A team of volunteers and course marshals line the bike route to offer cheer and encouragement and warn bikers of any potential hazards.
Course route subject to change at any time with or without prior notice.
- Bikes must be racked on Saturday prior to the race from 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM. Once racked, bikes will remain in the transition area and may not be removed until the race. Bikes MUST have bike numbers fastened on them and all athletes must have their race bracelets on to enter the transition area.
- Athletes must be at mile 7.5 by 10:30 AM to complete the course. If you are not you will receive a DNF (do not finish), and will only complete 15 miles as you will be asked to turn around at this point. You will still be able to finish the race.
- Athletes must be off the Whitehurst Freeway, at mile 22, by 11:30 AM or you will not be able to finish the race.
- Helmets must be on AND fastened before triathletes mount their bikes.
- Do not mount your bike until you are out of the transition area and past the mount/dismount line.
- ABSOLUTELY NO RIDING IN THE TRANSITION AREA.
- STAY RIGHT ON THE BIKE COURSE UNLESS YOU ARE PASSING. DO NOT RIDE ABREAST FROM ANOTHER COMPETITOR FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER UNLESS YOU ARE PASSING.
- Do not litter.
- If you have a flat move your bike off the course.
- Emergency conditions may occur during the race. Please pay attention to your surroundings for indication of the need to clear the course or take other instructed action.
The 2013 Nation’s Triathlon Course is subject to change at any time with or without prior notice.